Many people believe that there is an afterlife, and that there is karma to be balanced, and lifetimes to be led till the soul evolves sufficiently – sufficiently enough to break the cycle of cause and effect. As far as my own sense nowadays goes, it seems to me that that is part of the wider – and very alluring – story that keeps us in seeking, and ‘bettering’ mode. It’s the same as religious beliefs. They keep one focussed on a future point where all is either well (heaven) or not (hell).
If though, that whole story (whether during life or after life) is over, then what? Then there is a sense that when the me-story is no more, there is simply manifested Energy (human life, intelligence etc) and unmanifested Energy – the All That Is, from which the manifested arises. And so if the movement is from manifested to unmanifested and we’re all headed towards the Unmanifested eventually, then this question arises: Why bother with enlightenment matters?
If, in the final analysis, nothing really matters (because everything is All That anyway) then why bother with anything? Why not just continue to `enjoy` the demands of the attached self or ego? What difference does it make? Why not just continue with becoming rich, famous or a professional down and out?
Indeed why not? For in truth it makes no difference at all. There is no judgement. No karma. No retribution. No hell. Not heaven. Not in the Final Reality.
But there is a subtle and profound difference and though subtle, it’s the difference that makes the difference.
And I would describe the subtle difference in various ways, including these ways:
– The feeling of ‘separate being wrong’ goes. Oneness is remembered.
– Life is exquisitely more fun when there is a recognition of the pretense that has been having you up to the point of seeing this full on.
– Self-consciousness goes or is much diminished, and where it arises, it just arises, and so be it (rather than it becoming a statement about ‘you.’)
– Emotional stuff passes through much quicker, like a train passing through stations, sometimes it’s a heavy duty freight train and stays around for ages and sometimes an empty carriage that shoots through like it’s late for the next stop.
– A lightness is felt in the experience of daily life.
– There is an aliveness in the here and now.
– Energetically there is a shift from living in the fanatsaies – or fears – of the head, to a being with whatever is occurring here and now.
– The freedom from the prison of beliefs is immense.
Let’s look at the last point a bit more. Most people don’t even question beliefs per se, but rather seek to have better, stronger, different, more clever – or whatever the adjective may be – beliefs. We do not ordinarily know what life is without a set of beliefs, or without the movement towards having / keeping / changing beliefs. Beliefs feel VERY real and they are VERY seductive.
They are even more seductive when couched under the spiritual / new age / 2012 umbrella. These beliefs are based upon ‘just around the corner’ – whether it’s a fifth dimensional world, the golden age, a world full of awakened people, a world full of ETs, or a life that is totally transformed.
In fact many, if not most, beliefs are based upon ‘just around the corner’ or ‘at some point / one day.’ The ‘more’ belief system. More spiritual enlightenment, more higher vibrations, more money, more sex, more drugs, more beauty, more cars, more accolades, more approval, more whatever.
The subtle point that is missed isn’t having more cars – have as many as you like I say! It’s having a belief system that has you going all out, unconsciously, needing more cars. Of course the reason people have strong belief systems is a sense of a me that needs to become better, different etc. This sense of a ‘me’ arises when identity is formed at an early age.
Having said all this, it may imply that you could, if you wanted to, simply choose to let go of your beliefs and become awakened on demand. The individual hates to think they couldn’t become awakened by choice. But it doesn’t work that way. And that’s also part of the game, for even the wanting, or even believing one is belief-free or awakened is all part of the cosmic joke that we partake in. And awakened is not better – or worse – than not being awakened. Besides to believe one is awakened is just another belief, for in truth there is only ‘what is.’ It’s so simple and so non-judgmental, that it seems too simple for this to be enough for belief-ridden human beings.
So better not to say too much, except enjoy the cosmic joke, and whilst you’re at it, you may as well enjoy the beliefs you hold! If you want to bother about enlightenment then enjoy the bothering about it.
Thanks for reading.
Comments, as always, welcome.
Latest posts by Reena Gagneja (see all)
- Dr Eben Alexander – Life after death is real and consciousness survives death of the body - March 11, 2016
- Bashar – profound speech (video): you, now and eternity - January 25, 2016
- The silver lining of problems and pain - August 10, 2015